Sunday, November 25, 2012

Christmas tree adventure..Thanksgiving continued

So sorry this broken down into two posts. We need help with this blog thing. For some reason it wouldn't post all the pictures that we wanted into one blog..so here we are!


My macho lumberjack wanna-be husband with our chosen tree.

Thanks to Rob's sweet sawing skills, cutting it down took no time!

Thanks to Rob's sweet tying skills, we had the tree on the van and home in a matter of minutes! What would we do without the van?!

Thanks to Rob's not so sweet hatchet skills, we have this.

Story time: So turns out our tree was too big for our goodwill tree stand. Rob (thinking he was a lumberjack) took a hatchet and started whittling down the trunk. After a few good whacks, let's just say he swung and missed...or hit right into his right knuckle. I was rearraging furniture to fit the tree when all of a sudden he came running into the kitchen repeatedly saying, "oh no" while standing at the kitchen sink. I saw drops of blood on the floor the same time he told me that he cut his finger. He then exclaimed, " I think I'm going to be sick" and went to the living room floor to sit down. At this point I started freaking out- mainly because I was worried about Rob but also because I remembered our health insurance doesn't start until December 1st. Yikes. Rob said he might need stitches and that he felt like he was going to pass out. He says, darkness surrounded him at that moment. ;) So before I knew it, he was laying on his back with his feet up against the wall. Thanks to Boy Scouts, I now know this is the position to avoid going into shock! Who needs to be an eagle scout when you can marry one?!

This picture doesn't do it justice. Trust me it was bad people.

The bloodied glove...not to be confused with OJ's. Please notice the slash right over the knuckle.

Our sweet homemade splint! Thanks to Green Ginger for the chopsticks that can double as a splint!
We were looking around for what to use as a splint when I remembered these chopsticks from our favorite sushi place in PTC. We cut them in half and buddy taped his fingers together to immobize and protect his index finger. Don't worry, I kept the other half of them...just in case.

Rob insists that the Vulcan greeting happened by an accident much like this one.

Turns out our splint is awesome! Rob's finger is pretty swollen and painful but it looks like it is healing. To be continued...

Meanwhile...Our tree turned out fabulous!! It fits perfectly in our little house right in front of our window! Thanks to everyone who has given us ornaments...especially Papa!! Our tree would be bare without all of the ornaments Papa passed down to us.

Merry Christmas! Sorry it's so dark though!

Obviously you can see how happy I am. Rob wasn't so sure...still harboring ill feelings toward the tree.

One of our new ornaments from our trip! Mom gave me the suggestion years ago to collect ornaments from all the places that I've been. Las Vegas, Aruba, Austria, Antigua, Grand Canyon, Jackson Hole, and Yellowstone are all represented :) Rob has his own ornament collection with a different story. He and his cousins exchanged ornaments every year at Christmas, so all of his awesome ornaments have special memories too :)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!! (I did both) Glad to hear the finger will be ok. You have ONE week to get it better for work! It will heal quickly. I had the same almost fainting and sick feeling when I cut my finger with the immersion blender. Pretty scary to think you almost cut your finger off! Proud of my little Eagle Scout and proud of Schaefer for being a good little nurse! Love the tree, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys really know how to tell a story! I was dying laughing reading about this adventure, expect at the part about Rob's finger of course. I love reading about your life in Washington. Poor Rob! His finger looks awful. I hope it heals soon. Absolutely love the tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME blog post!! Wow, can't believe Rob's finger! We need an update!!! The tree is beautiful! Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!! XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete