Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Best Adventure Yet!

I asked Rob what he wanted to do for his birthday weekend, and he immediately said... SNOWSHOEING!!! So we rented some non-tennis-racket-like snow shoes and headed up to Mt. Rainier.


I can't even count how many National Parks we have been to in the past 4 months...we pretty much have the best life!

Waterfall and icicles on the way up the mountain

This was some serious snow!! I don't think I have ever seen so much snow in my life!

Why yes that is an 8 foot road sign covered by snow...It was higher than our van and made me a little nervous!

THESE are snowshoes people! You strap your feet in to the top. The bottom has spikey things that dig into the snow.. and they work like magic!

If you look closely, you'll see cross country skiing tracks on the side of a VERY steep mountain...Rob wants to do this next time. and he is serious.

All layered up and ready to go! I was scared of being cold so I had three layers on bottom and four on top...I was quite cozy.

About to begin our adventure!

The start of the hike was intimidating..we had to hike up that steep hill of snow just to get on the trail. It was fun coming down that let me tell you...

We hiked to Reflections Lakes..not much of a reflection this time of year, but we are definitely going back in the summer!

Here's my vote for Outdoorsman of the Year 2013...

Don't these trees look like they belong in Whoville?

Thank goodness for those shoes or I'd be up to my hips in snow!

Aren't we cute?!

Look at that beautiful reflection...errr snow covered lake. See you again in July!

Rob's friend the Stellar Jay (Thanks mom for the book on wildlife ;) He took about 50 pictures of this little guy. Glad he got one good one!

Looking out over the lake that I walked over! I just knew that I was going to fall in, but Rob convinced me it was safe, and now I can say I walked on water!

Don't you just love evergreens covered with snow?! I do.

Where'd his feet go? We ended up "skiing" down the ridge since with this much snow there really is no trail..you just go down the fastest way you can!

We had a BLAST snowshoeing and can't wait to do it again. The best part definitely was "skiing" down (mostly on my butt).

Don't forget to look at the post before this about our bald eagle sighting!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That does take courage to go out into nature and try something you never have done before!! Glad you had fun and were safe. Great post, beautiful area. I can't wait to see it in the spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY WORD!!!! I am so, totally jealous that you guys got to go snowshoeing!!! That is so awesome you guys went out and did it and that snow is CRAZY! I love the shot of the bird-- that camera is pretty cool! You guys are awesome to go out and try new things! Love you and miss you!!! XOoxoOXoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, you guys!! What a perfect birthday weekend. You both look like seasoned showshoers. Beautiful pictures. I think it is super that you are getting to experience so many different places in your new location. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I read this blog it occurs to me how boring my life is, ha! For instance I go to a restaurant to celebrate my birthday, and you guys go snowshoeing!! How cool is that. I'm super duper jealous. You guys looked great out there. The location looks like a dream world!
    Schaef - I'm very proud of you for walking on that lake. I don't think I could have done that!And I like your hat!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete